|CLASS 1||“Methinks the reflections are never purer and more distinct than now at the season of the fall of the leaf, just before the cool twilight has come, when the air has a finer grain.”
An image incorporating a reflection.
|CLASS 2||“It has come to this, – that the love of art is one, and the lover of nature another, though true art is but the expression of our love of nature.”
A still life incorporating natural material.
|CLASS 3||“It is the most perfect seashore I have ever seen. The rockweed falls over you like the tresses of mermaids…”
An image where water meets the land – a beach, pond, lake, or stream, for example.
|CLASS 4||“Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity; so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand.”
A macro or close-up photograph. Does not have to be winter-themed.
“It seems natural that rocks which have lain under the heavens so long should be gray, as it were, an intermediate color between the heavens and the earth.”
|CLASS 6||“You sat on the earth as on a raft, listening to music that was not of the earth, but which ruled and arranged it.”
An abstract, manipulated photo incorporating plant material.
BOSTON FLOWER AND GARDEN SHOW 2016
DIVISION III, PHOTOGRAPHY
CLASSES 1-6, ADULT
1. This show is open to Amateur photographers only. An Amateur photographer is one whose principal source of income does not derive from photography.
2. This is a juried show. Advance email registration for all classes is required and registrations must be accompanied by a digital copy of the photo being entered.
3. For the juried portion of the Show an exhibitor may submit only one Registration Form per Class, and may enter no more than two classes .
4. The digital photos will be juried by a panel of photography judges to determine the six finalists in each class, plus two alternates. Finalists must freshly print and mount their photos for display at The Boston Spring Flower and Garden Show. The alternates will be notified if they become a finalist.
5. Entrants must indicate on the Registration Form whether they are a Novice. For this Show, a Novice is defined as anyone who has not won a blue ribbon in any photography show open to the public.
a. Friday, January 15, 2016 Registration Deadline
b. Saturday, January 30, 2016 Notification of Results of the jury and final acceptance into the Show.
c. Tuesday, February 23, 2016 Final receipt of printed photos for the Show
d. Tuesday, March 15, 2016 Photography finalists judged
e. March 16-20, 2016 Show opens to the public
f . Sunday, March 20 , 2016 Show closes, 5:00 p.m.
7. To Enter
a.. Click on this link to register for the juried portion of the Show – it will take you directly to the Registration Form: 2016 Photography Registration Form
b. Each entry must have its own Registration Form. Registration forms with more than one photo attached will not be accepted.
c. Digital images must be submitted as jpegs, sized between 1 and 5 megabytes, and must accompany the Registration. Incorrectly sized images will not be accepted.
d. Rename your digital photo file name to your first initial, last name and class number. For example: CWood1.jpeg, rather than IMG-1.jpeg.
8. Plant material is required in all classes.
9. Any manipulation done to the photo must be done before the digital entry is submitted. Manipulation at the time of exposure, in the darkroom, or by computer is allowed in all classes and must be the work of the exhibitor. This includes cropping of the image, enhancement for color or clarity, removal of a part of the image, combining images, or distorting the original subject.
10. Photos that have won a blue ribbon in a previous public Photography Show may not be entered into this competition. If accepted into the show, the photograph must be newly mounted for judging and display.
The following set of rules applies to finalists chosen from the juried part of The Boston Flower and Garden Show Photography Division.
1. When the photographer has been notified that their photograph has been accepted for final judging, they should prepare their photograph for hanging at the Show. The printed photo must match the digital image in all respects including color, cropping, and/or manipulation. The photo will be returned to the exhibitor if the Photography Division Committee determines:
a. The print is significantly different from the digital submission.
b. The print is mounted incorrectly.
c. The mounted print does not appear to be in Show condition.
The Photography Division Committee will ask the exhibitor to reprint and/or remount the photo if these conditions apply. The newly mounted photo must be resubmitted to The Boston Flower and Garden Show prior to Tuesday, March 2, 1016 to be included in the Show.
2. Each entry must be labeled on the back of the mounting board with the following information:
a. Class Entered (number and title)
c. Garden Club of America Club and Zone, if applicable
e. Telephone Number and Email Address
f. Plant Material (optional)
g. Title or brief statement of intent (optional, 25 words or less)
h. First time exhibitor in The Boston Spring Flower Show Photography Division? (yes/no)
i. Novice? (yes/no). A Novice is a photographer who has not won a blue ribbon in any Major public photography show.
j. The top of the photograph must be indicated. Do not attach anything to the back of the photo to hang it as this will be handled by the Committee.
3. The final show quality print of the photograph must be mounted onto black foam core with no over-matting. The surface finish of the photograph is the choice of the exhibitor.
4. The finished size of the mounted photograph must be at least 48 inches in perimeter, but may not exceed the total perimeter dimension of 60 inches (for example, an 11 x 14 print).
5. The photographs must be the work of the exhibitor. Printing and mounting may be done professionally.
6. Glass and framing are not permitted
7. Finalists’ mounted photographs must be received by Tuesday, February 23, 2016. Please mail photographs to:
The Boston Spring Garden and Flower Show
Massachusetts Horticultural Society
900 Washington Street
Wellesley, MA 02482
8. If the printed photo is not received by Tuesday, February 23, 2016, the Photography Division will assume you have withdrawn your entry and your entry position will be given to an alternate.
9. If you wish to receive your entry back after the Show, please include a self-addressed return envelope, packing material (no Styrofoam peanuts), and a $10 check made payable to Christine Paxhia. If practical, please label your return packing material.
All Finalists will be notified by e-mail of the results of the Judging as soon as possible after the Judging takes place.
The following Awards may be given:
- Massachusetts Horticultural Society Novice Award
- Massachusetts Horticultural Society Corliss Engle Photography Award
- Garden Club of America Certificate of Excellence in Photography
- Best in Show
Committee contact information: