Massachusetts Horticultural Society
Massachusetts Horticultural Society The Gardens at Elm Bank includes a 36-acre public garden, located within the historic Elm Bank Reservation (182 acres) which is owned and operated by the Department of Conservation and Recreation located in Wellesley/Dover, MA. The Gardens at Elm Bank include eight formal gardens and six greenhouses: Olmstead Brothers Italianate Garden, the Bressingham Garden, Weezie’s Garden for Children, AAS Trials Garden, James Crockett Memorial Garden, Goddess Garden, The Garden to Table Vegetable Gardens, the and Welcome Garden. Four “plant society” gardens that are maintained by four regional plant societies: American Hemerocallis Society Daylily Garden, the Noanett Garden Club Stroll Garden, the Alan Payne Rhododendron Garden, and the Herb Society Garden. All personnel are ambassadors of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and readily interact with visitors, members, donors, trustees, volunteers, and the public.
Founded in 1829, the Massachusetts Horticultural Society is dedicated to encouraging the science and practice of horticulture, and to developing the public's enjoyment, appreciation, and understanding of plants and the environment.
We firmly believe that our employees, interns, and volunteers drive the success of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. Our goal for the 21st century and beyond is to provide quality educational programming in our gardens, in the exhibit halls, and the classroom and to engage people in the stewardship of our natural resources.
The Massachusetts Horticultural Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or veteran status.
Current Employment Opportunities:
POSITION TITLE: Seasonal Horticulturist
REPORTS TO: Gardens Curator
WORKS WITH: Garden Curator, Senior Horticulturist, Director of Operations, Functions Manager, staff, volunteers, and Interns
POSITION TYPE: hourly
SEASON: March 1- November 30, 2018. Full time seasonal including weekends.
HOURS PER WEEK: 40 including weekend days.
SEASONAL GARDENER/HORTICULTURALIST JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Seasonal Gardener/Horticulturist performs a wide range of general garden maintenance and gardening activities. This position frequently requires the expenditure of physical labor and the use of motorized equipment and other tools. Duties/Responsibilities include trimming, weeding, watering, planting, pruning, propagation, plant labeling, and weed control.
- Performs a variety tasks in the horticultural maintenance and operation of The Gardens at Elm Bank, public gardens and greenhouses.
- Living collections maintenance: weeding, mulching, transplanting, watering, routine cultivation of all types of plants
- Operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the business of the Society
- Performs maintenance on irrigation systems
- Physical requirements of this position:
- Ability to lift 60 pounds or more
- Bend, squat, lift
- Use vibrating power equipment: lawn mowers, snow and leaf blowers, chain saw
- Propagation of plants from seed and cutting for all gardens, seasonal plant displays and annual plant sales.
- Assist with ongoing plant records and labeling for woody and other living collections
- Landscape construction
- Tree removal and pruning
- Hedge and shrub pruning
- Operating Power Tools: lawnmower, leaf blower, snow blower, edge trimmer, chain saw
- Assisting with the management of compost on site.
- Provide additional services as requested by the Garden Curator and/or Senior Horticulturist
- High School Diploma or GED; Four years’ experience in horticultural work at a public garden (preferred), greenhouse operations, grounds keeping, golf course, park or estate maintenance, landscape maintenance skills.
- Hold core skills commensurate with extensive experience in horticulture
- Ability to engage public amiably and professionally
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to carry out directions independently
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Require CORI clearance
POSITION TITLE: Seasonal Groundskeeper
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
WORKS WITH: Director of Operations, Garden Curator, Functions Manager, staff, volunteers, and interns
POSITION TYPE: Full time Seasonal
HOURS PER WEEK: 40 hours per week Monday-Friday with rotational Saturdays, April-November
JOB DESCRIPTION AT MASS HORT: The Seasonal Groundskeeper is responsible for the maintenance and care of the grounds at Mass Hort, working in the gardens, and the buildings as required.
- Performs a variety of tasks in the maintenance and operation the Gardens at Elm Bank, and buildings and grounds.
- Lawn and garden maintenance
- Janitorial tasks when necessary
- Operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the business of the Society
- Performs minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance such as painting, carpentry, and other trades work
- Assists with maintenance on irrigation systems
- Performs routine maintenance on lawn and power equipment
- Landscape construction projects
- Work within the gardens for maintenance and projects
- Operational maintenance as directed by Director of Operations
- Opens and closes, locks and unlocks facilities and gates as needed
- Assists in setting up and taking down equipment for society and function programs
- Prepares facilities for Society and function program use
- Provide daily work orders, and reports as requested by the Director of Operations
- Provides additional services as requested by the Director of Operations
- Submit time sheets in a timely fashion to supervisor
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Operations
- 3 years or more in the field of landscape, gardening and grounds maintenance
- Ability to work out doors in all weather
- Knowledgeable about gardening maintenance
- Working knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds construction and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs
- Working knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions (Red Cross course, OSHA, etc). If not already obtained, candidate must be willing to go through training process
- Skill in the operation tools and equipment
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time, and to perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to understand, follow, and transmit written and oral instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other Society personnel and the public
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
Please forward any resumes along with any questions to the following:
POSITION TITLE : Visitor- Admissions Staff
Hours of Operation: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 am- 4 pm; can job share weekends, but must work minimum of 1 weekend day
Hours per day: 6, including ½ hour off for lunch, arrives: 9:45 am, departs: 4:15 pm includes weekend days
Pay: $14 per hour
Season: May 1-October 9
The visitor center admissions staff is the first person to greet the visitors to The Gardens at Elm Bank. We are looking for a responsible, friendly person to greet our guests, collect admissions, and to sell memberships. Person must be familiar with Massachusetts Horticultural Society, The Gardens at Elm Bank and membership benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as membership salesperson/customer service representative at the visitors center
- Collecting admission
- Distributing information and membership brochures
- Sell memberships
- Providing general informational for questions
- Follow up when required
- Assist in day-to-day operational procedures, including daily revenue reports, cash handling, and the opening and closing of all systems including the cash register and the computerized network
- In a friendly manner, proactively and professionally answer questions and provide directions concerning classes, exhibitions, shows, and gardens
- Proficient in math and handling cash and credit cards
- Proficient in reporting attendance and completing forms
- Develop a proficiency in Garden information and literature, resources available, and desk procedures
- Monitor visitor materials and displays in and around the Visitor Services Information Desks. Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of each area
- Maintain strong team relationship with staff and volunteers
REPORTS TO: Controller
Check back for more details on our internships.
Founded in 1829, the Massachusetts Horticultural Society is a member-supported organization, dedicated to encouraging and improving the science and practice of horticulture and developing the public’s enjoyment, appreciation and understanding of plants and the environment.