Thank you so much for your sustained and generous support of Massachusetts Horticultural Society. The funding that you and your fellow donors provided last year allowed us to launch and nurture many new and exciting programs and projects. This kind of expansion enables us to turn the Society's mission from words into actions.
I'm happy to report the substantial accomplishments we achieved in 2013:
· 4,000 pounds of organically grown produce from the Garden to Table's garden was delivered to the Wellesley and Natick food pantries, up from 3,500 pounds the previous season.
· 45 Adult Education Programs-cooking and garden workshops, courses, and lectures-reached over 500 adults, up 12 percent from 2012.
· 12 schools and 8 outreach events were visited by the Plantmobile, serving over 5,000 children.
· $115,000 was raised through our special events-the Gardeners' Fair, Mass Marketplace, Downton Abbey, the Festival of Trees, and the 114th Honorary Medals Dinner.
· 700 reference inquiries from library patrons.
· $166,000 of capital improvements were funded by donors and grants, and 100,000 "Marathon Daffodils" were planted by volunteers along the Marathon route with Mass Hort's help.
In 2013, we also completed a five year Strategic Plan. Our vision for Massachusetts Horticultural Society includes demonstrating how horticulture contributes to the quality of life and the public good, engaging and exciting people of all backgrounds about horticulture through education, exhibits, and hands-on-display gardens, focusing on contemporary issues such as health, sustainability, and stewardship of our natural world, and delivering horticultural excellence and best practices in all that we do.
Please give what you can so we can continue these projects. The Society's dedicated volunteers and staff attain great results-but nothing would be possible without the funding you provide. Your donation is vital for the Society to fulfill its vision for the future. And it is deeply appreciated.
On behalf of the Board, staff, and volunteers, thank you for your generosity.
Katherine K. Macdonald
P.S. In 2013 our Adult Education Program reached new heights with speakers such as nationally recognized experts Deborah Trickett and Barbara Pierson. Make 2014 even better-click here to make a secure donation online, or send your check or credit card info to Development Department, Mass Hort, 900 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA 02482.